How to use the book?

Contents

Hello Educator,

Super excited to have you here. Please go through the instructions given below to make the best use of the Flourish bilingual books.

Teacher’s Manual:

The Teacher’s Manual on the Flourish website is your go-to place for all the queries with respect to the Flourish Books. It is an interactive forum that would help you facilitate/teach the Flourish stories & exercises in the best possible way. You can access the manual by visiting flourishbooks.app/teachers-manual on any device. Bookmark it for quick access!

The Teacher’s Manual is accessible to only certain users authorised by the Flourish team. Check the box below to find if you’re an authorised user.

Authorisation Check

Sign in to check if you are authorised to access the entire teacher’s manual!

Answer Keys:

You can find the answer keys to all the exercises in the Teacher’s Manual

QR Codes & Mobile App:

Each story is supplemented with QR codes that direct the students to the Flourish mobile apps. The mobile apps comprise read-alouds and other engaging video learning materials. Download the apps to experience it for yourself!

Ensure that all your students have downloaded the Flourish mobile app that supplements their book. Encourage them to practice reading the stories in the book every day at home, with the help of the read-alouds in the app.

Assessment:

  • The Flourish Books recommend the usage of continuous formative assessment instead of summative tests. Additionally, it would be best to use the grade system mentioned in the ‘Grading Scheme’ in the book, rather than the marks system.
  • Each book includes a ‘Grade Sheet’ that the teacher can use to evaluate the student on the different aspects mentioned in the ‘Grade Sheet’ table.
  • The grades have to be filled by the teacher for each and every student after the completion of each lesson. 
  • If your school follows the monthly/mid-term system, the grade for the Flourish subject can be obtained from the ‘Overall Grade’ given in the grade sheet. Additionally, you can also choose to conduct examinations for this subject by setting your own question papers.
  • For high-stake examinations such as Quarterly, Half-yearly, and Annual Examinations, the question papers will be issued by the Flourish Team. You can choose to attribute 70% of the final grade to the exam results and the rest of the 30% can be attributed to the overall grade given in the Flourish books.

Other key tips for teaching:

  • Pre-work: Please go through the entire book before you start teaching it. Since some of the activities are subsequent to certain exercises, use them in the given order in each unit. However, once an activity or game is introduced, feel free to modify and use it again, according to the needs and interests of your class.
  • Reading: Motivate the children to read the lessons independently and comprehend the meaning. If they find it difficult, try ‘buddy reading’ or ‘read-aloud in group’ techniques instead of retelling/explaining the story.
  • Vocabulary: Guide children to connect meanings of words/phrases between the 2 languages and as a class, include the difficult words in the vocabulary module, which can be revisited periodically.
  • Critical Thinking & Writing: ‘Think & Write’ prompts / ‘Think Kind’ statements can be used for promoting higher order critical thinking and creative writing. Additional written homework based on related themes and values could be given and discussed. However, it is best to maintain a balance between written work and open discussions.
  • Student Participation: Encourage all the students to participate actively. Watch over the classroom participation and development of each student in the classroom and provide opportunities for growth to all of them.
  • Giving answers/feedback: Many of the stories/exercises in the book might trigger open-ended questions. Please give the children enough time and opportunity to respond to these using their own ideas instead of simplifying it to a moral. You may refer to the Teacher’s Manual for solutions, but try not to emphasize on the ready-made answers and give scope for different versions.
    For the exercises with objective responses, avoid writing the answers directly on the board. Instead, encourage students to do some research and find the answers themselves.

This plan is for your reference, so feel free to improvise and do what is best for your students.